Fashion

 

Iran has warned countries against joining the United States’ economic campaign against Tehran, saying nations that participate in sanctions or other economic restrictions will be regarded as enemies.


The warning was issued on Saturday by Mohsen Rezaei, secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, during an interview with Iranian state television. He called on countries to stay out of what Tehran described as a US-led “economic war.” 


Rezaei said Iran would first ask countries participating in the US campaign to distance themselves from Washington’s measures. However, he warned that those who refused could see their interests targeted by Iran.


He also threatened retaliation against US economic and oil interests if Washington proceeds with further sanctions. Rezaei claimed that Iran had so far focused its attacks on US military bases rather than American economic interests, but said that could change if economic pressure intensified. 


The Iranian official also issued a warning concerning the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial route for global oil shipments. He said that if neighbouring countries joined the US pressure campaign, Iran could prevent oil from being exported through the waterway. 


The threats come after US President Donald Trump announced an intensified campaign aimed at isolating Iran economically and called on other countries, including major trading partners of Tehran, to support the effort.


China has criticised the US sanctions initiative, arguing that economic pressure will not resolve the wider conflict. Meanwhile, the United Arab Emirates announced on August 18 that it was suspending trade and financial transactions with Iran. 


Post a Comment

Sports